Old 16-04-2016, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hanging basket ideas

I have to plant a couple of baskets for a ground floor flat that have to
hang under the walkway of the flats above, they will also be facing North.
Flowers rather than just foliage if possible.
Any ideas?
David @ a slowly clouding side of Swansea Bay.

Old 17-04-2016, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/2016 16:59, David Hill wrote:
I have to plant a couple of baskets for a ground floor flat that have to
hang under the walkway of the flats above, they will also be facing North.
Flowers rather than just foliage if possible.
Any ideas?
David @ a slowly clouding side of Swansea Bay.

I don't need to tell you that deep shade will produce little or no
flowers, so I'm hoping that as the plants cascade, they will be falling
into some light.

Hanging Fuchsia and Begonias should be fairly happy there. If you can
find a floriferous long-season hardy geranium, it will probably perform.
Other ideas are Vinca minor, Lysimachia nummularia (Creeping Jenny),
trailing Veronicas and Campanulas. Erigeron karvinskianus will probably
only give you white daisies (not enough sun for the deeper pinks), but
would be a good addition. It grows at the edge of my woodland garden.
Also consider not-so-tall Clematis (Charlie Pridham may be able to guide
you on this). They will be happy with their roots in shade, provided
they get reasonable light for flowering.
Although they are thought of as foliage plants, most Heucheras and
Heucherellas have lovely delicate flower spikes which are loved by bees
and which repeat flower when deadheaded.
The sometimes nuisance plant, Corydalis lutea, will grow and cascade
quite attractively in this sort of situation, so might be worth trying.

--
Spider
On high ground in SE London
Old 17-04-2016, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 16:59:24 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I have to plant a couple of baskets for a ground floor flat that have to
hang under the walkway of the flats above, they will also be facing North.
Flowers rather than just foliage if possible.
Any ideas?

Well I have to say Fuchsia's!
'Eva Beorg' 'Lena' and 'Delta Drop' facing north is no problem as
south facing can get a bit warm. These three varities are hardy, and
trailing, at the end of autumn, cut back, keep frost free and they
should be fine for another year.
www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info