Old 19-03-2014, 05:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Simply making taps impossible to steal

"Andrew May" wrote

John Williamson wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

P Bentley wrote:
Some Lowlife has stolen all the metal taps from our Allotment. Are
there any plastic taps to replace tham that anyone would recommend?

Presumably metal taps are still the most durable, but is there any way
to simply make them difficult to steal ? There are some metal covers
we can buy, but they are expensive and need locking up with a padlock
every time;
which is a chore.

You could try fastening them to the support with one way screws, which
do up as normal, but are a right pig to undo

Or weld the screws to the body after tightening.

That'd do the job. Use nuts and bolts and a steel backing plate, though,
not screws.

Doesn't it tend to be a backing plate that screws to the wall and then the
tap just screws into that with a bit of PTFE tape? If so then easy to
remove the tape even if the backing plate is heavily welded.

Lucky to have taps we don't.
Anyway, I have no doubt they were after the metal so you can do nothing to
stop them getting the taps, they will just use a big hammer and smash them
off. Get some cheap non brass taps.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.