Old 20-03-2014, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Bulbs

mj wrote:

Is it common for bulbs to grow but not flower the
first year? I am not having a great success rate
with the many bulbs I planted last fall.

no, first year is often the best, but the actual
outcome varies based upon many other factors.

where did you get the bulbs?

when were they planted?

exactly how and where were they planted?

have they gotten much moisture or cold since they
were planted?

usually i've found that most bulbs i get from
decent suppliers do well and those picked up from
big box stores and other budget suppliers are less
reliable.

the most energy and formation of the flower for
the next year is formed the previous year. bad
storage conditions can trump any good start the
bulb may have had at the growers.

songbird