Old 22-03-2014, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Recommendations for types, & suppliers, of thorn hedging please.

"Nick" wrote
I am reluctantly forced to erect a 10m long x 1.2m high wire fence and
plant along this 16 thorn hedging plants.
This for a neighbour who is seriously pressuring me. Rather than fight the
issue, I just want to get it done. We have been neighbours for 50 odd years
and I don't particularly want to fall out with her.
Fencing is no problem I can do that well myself but the plants are giving
me a problem. I am black fingered as opposed to green.
She says they must be 80-100 cm height pot grown, and specifies Pyracantha,
Mahonia, Berberis & Gorse.
Her main objective being to grow an impenetrable fence.
Plot is just W of London. W facing with fairly open aspect and 1m from a
stream. This stream was extremely lively a month ago. Hence the problem.
Any suggestions for plants and suppliers please.

Pyracantha I can understand but why not plant our native Blackthorn which
will give you Sloes for your Gin or even our native Hawthorn, both of which
are better for our native wildlife and a lot cheaper.
You can buy these more cheaply from hedging suppliers. eg...
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/?gclid...FQnpwgodeI8ACg
http://www.best4hedging.co.uk/?gclid...FUsUwwodcKsAEg
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.