Old 22-03-2014, 06:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Caecilius Caecilius is offline

Default Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of.

I think saltpetre (potassium nitrate) is the stuff to use. If you
drill a vertical hole into the wood and pack it full of saltpetre, the
rain water will dissolve it and it will eventually permeate the wood.

This will encourage the wood to rot, as it supplies a source of
nitrogen for bacteria, and will also make the stump easier to burn as
it is an oxidiser.

It's not a quick solution though.