Old 22-03-2014, 07:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of. It's
probably about 10" high by 15" across, and the problem is that it's in
an awkward position at the foot of a banked area, and surrounded by
paving stones, so would be very disruptive and difficult to dig out.
It's inaccessible to a tree stump grinder (other than maybe something
hand- held).

Burning it out seems the way forward, and I've tried several times (over
years), burying the thing in burning coal. Trouble is the stump doesn't
really burn much as such; it just chars over, and has got quite dished
on top, but there's a lot more to go. Anyway, it occurred to me that
maybe I could try again this summer but first impregnate the remaining
timber over a period of time (maybe honeycombing it with a drill first)
to encourage it to burn properly. Anyone tried this? What would be good
to use, that wouldn't just evaporate off?

I'm not after getting the whole thing out - if I just get the stump
below ground level and cover it with a plant tub or something, that
would be fine!

Or any other constructive ideas!?

Probably no need to wait until summer.

Possibly try a more serious fire instead of just heaping coals?

If you build a temporary wall around it using old bricks, blocks and stuff
you turn it into a fire pit.

Then light a fire around the stump and keep feeding it for a few hours.

Once you get a really high temperature the stump should begin to char away
- but it will take time because the charcoal protects the wood underneath.

Keep poking the stump with an iron bar or similar to break off the
charcoal and this will both feed the fire and expose more wood.

It may take several attempts, but if you persevere say over a couple of
weeks you should be able to burn the stump down below ground level.

Then again, one good steady fire could shift it.

Cheers

Dave R