Old 22-03-2014, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Recommendations for types, & suppliers, of thorn hedging please.

On 22/03/2014 17:44, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Nick" wrote
I am reluctantly forced to erect a 10m long x 1.2m high wire fence and
plant along this 16 thorn hedging plants.
This for a neighbour who is seriously pressuring me. Rather than fight
the issue, I just want to get it done. We have been neighbours for 50
odd years and I don't particularly want to fall out with her.
Fencing is no problem I can do that well myself but the plants are
giving me a problem. I am black fingered as opposed to green.
She says they must be 80-100 cm height pot grown, and specifies
Pyracantha, Mahonia, Berberis & Gorse.
Her main objective being to grow an impenetrable fence.
Plot is just W of London. W facing with fairly open aspect and 1m from
a stream. This stream was extremely lively a month ago. Hence the
problem.
Any suggestions for plants and suppliers please.

Pyracantha I can understand but why not plant our native Blackthorn
which will give you Sloes for your Gin or even our native Hawthorn, both
of which are better for our native wildlife and a lot cheaper.
You can buy these more cheaply from hedging suppliers. eg...
http://www.hedgesdirect.co.uk/?gclid...FQnpwgodeI8ACg
http://www.best4hedging.co.uk/?gclid...FUsUwwodcKsAEg

I'd also go for hawthorn, otherwise get Bare root Berberis Atropurpurea,
they should grow away well and make a very prickly hedge, good flowers
and followed by berries.
Have a look at

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/hedgi...i-atropurpurea

or Berberis Thunbergii which doesn't grow so tall

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Japanes...-/231042142098

I'd plant at around 20 inches apart so you would need all 20 plants.
David @ a showery side of Swansea Bay