Old 23-03-2014, 10:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Muddymike[_2_] Muddymike[_2_] is offline

Default Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of. It's
probably about 10" high by 15" across, and the problem is that it's in an
awkward position at the foot of a banked area, and surrounded by paving
stones, so would be very disruptive and difficult to dig out. It's
inaccessible to a tree stump grinder (other than maybe something hand-
held).

Burning it out seems the way forward, and I've tried several times (over
years), burying the thing in burning coal. Trouble is the stump doesn't
really burn much as such; it just chars over, and has got quite dished on
top, but there's a lot more to go.

Don't waste your time and fuel. Just attack it first of all with a drill or
saw. I used an old blade in the circular saw crossing the top from all
directions, then finish it off with hammer and wood chisel. It only took me
a couple of hours chiselling spread over several sessions and it was gone.

Mike