Old 23-03-2014, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Snow!

On 2014-03-22 22:46:52 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 13:11:34 +0000, Sacha wrote:

There was snow on the higher parts of Exmoor as we drove through this
morning and the temp there was 5C.

Still getting frosts and when I went out at 0730 this morning there
was a good inch of snow on the car/roads. Informed this evening that
in snowed through the morning leading to about 2" by midday.

Snowdrops are coming to an end, daffs? Well last week I said "If it
stays this warm they'll be out in a week", they haven't shown any
change for the last few days as it's been too cold.

Snowdrops are all finished here and have been for a while, most daffs
are still going, though some are starting to go over. Daffs seem to
pick up again if they're bowed down with snow. The almond trees are in
blossom here, though what thse icy winds are doing to them, goodness
knows. The wind is due North this morning and feels it!

I can vouch for how good they looked, though for some reason I didn't
take a photo of them, but I was impressed with the Chaenomeles on the
side of the house.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps3627dbf1.jpg

Some really great flowers on their camellias
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps6071ac6f.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pse0f794b5.jpg

That's the one Bob Hobden id'd as being probably C Cherub

and some really good spring colour just starting
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps0ffd6f0d.jpg

That's the pretty white Prunus which has never flowered so well. Again,
it's been there a long, long time but might be P. nipponica. And beside
it is the just-opening wedding cake tree which is now much further on.
We planted that when we got married in June 2000 and it's shot up.

As always great hospitality from Sacha and Ray despite their being busy.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay with some showers

Wonderful photos, as always, David. I think you should have a sideline
in botanical photography! That Chaenomeles (and how Ray and I argue
about pronouncing that!) is we *think* Knaphill Scarlet. But as it's
been there for more than 60 years, we're not certain. It's another that
seems to be getting better with age which makes me nervous in case it's
having a real 'push' before it dies off! We greatly enjoyed seeing you
both and as you remarked you must be the only person who comes to us
with a trolley load of plants!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com