Old 24-03-2014, 11:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On 24/03/2014 11:25, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I'm not after getting the whole thing out - if I just get the stump
below ground level and cover it with a plant tub or something, that
would be fine!

Or any other constructive ideas!?

Just a thought, thermite ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

Too fast and violent. A bit like throwing petrol on a bonfire.

The only method that stands a chance is to saturate the wet wood with
potassium nitrate and wait until it is the dryest day and then light a
bonfire on top. You need both dry wood and oxygen to make it burn.

With any luck it will smoulder away deep into the ground, perhaps with
the addition of some extra brushwood on top from time to time.

My burn attempts served only to hollow and weaken the large stump into
three manageable pieces that I could then crowbar out with scaffold
poles. Eventually they were dry enough to go in the wood burning stove.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown