Old 24-03-2014, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Recommendations for types, & suppliers, of thorn hedging please.

On 22/03/2014 15:43, Nick wrote:
Hello.
I am reluctantly forced to erect a 10m long x 1.2m high wire fence and plant
along this 16 thorn hedging plants.
This for a neighbour who is seriously pressuring me. Rather than fight the
issue, I just want to get it done. We have been neighbours for 50 odd years
and I don't particularly want to fall out with her.
Fencing is no problem I can do that well myself but the plants are giving me
a problem. I am black fingered as opposed to green.
She says they must be 80-100 cm height pot grown, and specifies Pyracantha,
Mahonia, Berberis & Gorse.

Pyracantha is good and you can get versions with different colour
berries, mahonia won't hack it, some berberis is ok, you will regret
planting gorse in a garden. Blackthorne and hawthorn are pretty good for
stock proof hedges. I'd buy bare root in autumn - its much cheaper.
(and I think they tend to establish faster than soft pot grown ones)

You could think about sneaking in the odd honeysuckle, bramble, rosa
rugosa and much slower growing holly bush as interesting features.

I'd also plant in solid blocks of about 3m each. That is how one of my
hedges is done. I don't like long solid monotonous uniform hedge. YMMV

Her main objective being to grow an impenetrable fence.
Plot is just W of London. W facing with fairly open aspect and 1m from a
stream. This stream was extremely lively a month ago. Hence the problem.
Any suggestions for plants and suppliers please.
Many thanks,
Nick.

You mean it washed away the old fence?
You might be best off with fresh willow sticks then!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown