Old 25-03-2014, 02:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?

On 25/03/2014 12:10, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 11:53:52 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 24/03/2014 11:25, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 17:41:34 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of. It's
probably about 10" high by 15" across, and the problem is that it's in
an awkward position at the foot of a banked area, and surrounded by
paving stones, so would be very disruptive and difficult to dig out.
It's inaccessible to a tree stump grinder (other than maybe something
hand- held).

Burning it out seems the way forward, and I've tried several times (over
years), burying the thing in burning coal. Trouble is the stump doesn't
really burn much as such; it just chars over, and has got quite dished
on top, but there's a lot more to go. Anyway, it occurred to me that
maybe I could try again this summer but first impregnate the remaining
timber over a period of time (maybe honeycombing it with a drill first)
to encourage it to burn properly. Anyone tried this? What would be good
to use, that wouldn't just evaporate off?

I'm not after getting the whole thing out - if I just get the stump
below ground level and cover it with a plant tub or something, that
would be fine!

Or any other constructive ideas!?

Just a thought, thermite ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite

A *termite* would enjoy doing it, but then it would probably eat all the
wood in your house :-/

Thermite is a bit hotter than a termite. :-)

Is that because it swallowed an 'h' for hot? ;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London