Old 25-03-2014, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan.Espen Dan.Espen is offline

Default Desperate Help To Kill Grass

Brooklyn1 writes:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:33:39 -0400, (Dan.Espen)
wrote:

Brooklyn1 writes:

Dan.Espen wrote:

I have roof moss and Roundup just doesn't seem right, maybe I'll
try the vinegar there. I tried dilute bleach and got a subdued
reaction from the moss.

It's very easy to get rid of roof moss, remove whatever is shading the
roof, then spray with bathroom tile mildew remover... if you do not
remove whatever is shading the area the moss will come right back...
I'd not wait too long before rectifying your problem either, moss
indicates a moisture problem, your roof will soon be leaking as the
roofing and sheathing beneath will be ruined, and home owner insurance
will not cover your neglect.

Well, the shade can't be cured. Neighbors huge trees.
I know they won't remove them. It's pretty shady anyway, as the house
faces directly south and theses are in the back.

You can legally remove whatever parts of those trees cross your
property line, from hell to heaven, just at your expense.. might pay
to discuss this with your neihgbor and come up with a plan whereas his
trees aren't pruned so heavily that they look unsightly and then share
the cost. If that doesn't stop the moss from growing it won't be too
long you'll need your roof repaired so I suggest before your roof
leaks and does horrendous damage inside your house you have that
section replaced with a different roofing materal, possibly a roofer
will suggest metal roofing for that section.

You'd have to see it.
It's not one tree it's an entire stand of trees.
It blocks the morning sun, until around 11AM.
After then the sun is still not high enough to clear the
peak, the roof is about 45 degrees.
Then after 1PM the rest of the house blocks the roof with the worst
problem.

Like I said, lasts year I hit it a couple of times with bleach and
it didn't look quite as robust as before. Right now (winter) there's
not much there. I'll get it this year or call one of those roof
cleaning outfits.

I'd guess zinc strips would deal with it too.
Right now I'm trying to find the solution that works with the least
environmental impact. That's why I started with an oxidizer (bleach).

Just looked. I'd say about half of it is gone.

--
Dan Espen