Old 26-03-2014, 07:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default ID mystery plant

On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:05:24 AM UTC-7, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:

On Monday, March 24, 2014 5:41:53 AM UTC-7, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Higgs Boson said:

Where is this mystery plant located?

Front of house. North facing.

Well, Mr. Ross reminded me you are in California. Should have made

my question more clear.

I'm more familiar with the weeds, wild flowers and garden thugs of the

upper mid-west and northeast, none of which your plant bring to mind.

What did the flowers look like?

Don't know. None as yet.

If it has seeds it must have had flowers. Either you didn't notice them

or they were insignificant.

!!! Of course you're right about sequence of flowers and seeds, but I remain baffled. I often looked at that plant, trying to figure it out, so any flowers must have been REALLY "insignificant".

(This brings up an unrelated question which I hope to research as time permits:
Which plants have large,showy flowers and -- down the scale -- small insignificant ones. What survival needs do each kind serve? Climate dependant, no doubt, but what else. Are there anomalies? Which, and why? Etc. Many questions. If anyone already has references, would be appreciated.)

Guess I'll take a picture up to nabe (neighbor) nursery & see if anybody recognizes it. I do plan to plant some of the seeds & see what happens.

Any other garden group youse guys could recommend? Might as well spread the net wider.

TIA

HB