Old 26-03-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Planting tree in plastic pot

"Timothy Murphy" wrote

I bought quite a large (4 feet high) Magnolia from Lidl,
essentially because I planted a Magnolia several years ago
which has never flowered, while this one has flowers on it.

The magnolia is in a large (about 1ft in diameter) plastic pot,
and I'm wondering what is the best way to plant this.
Should I put it in a hole and then cut the pot to remove it,
or should I take it out of the pot and then put it in the hole?
What do experts usually do?

The latest thinking on tree planting it to dig a square hole** about twice
the size of the round pot. Fork over the bottom of the hole with some decent
compost added. Having watered the plant well remove it from the pot and
tease out a few roots from the rootball all round. Place in hole ensuring it
remains at the same level it was in the pot and backfill with soil/compost.
Water well.

** This is supposed to make the roots penetrate the surrounding soil instead
of just going round in circles as they did in the pot.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.