Old 27-03-2014, 12:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Let it be Let it be is offline

Default Planting tree in plastic pot

Spider wrote:
On 26/03/2014 14:05, Timothy Murphy wrote:
I bought quite a large (4 feet high) Magnolia from Lidl,
essentially because I planted a Magnolia several years ago
which has never flowered, while this one has flowers on it.

The magnolia is in a large (about 1ft in diameter) plastic pot,
and I'm wondering what is the best way to plant this.
Should I put it in a hole and then cut the pot to remove it,
or should I take it out of the pot and then put it in the hole?
What do experts usually do?

Water it well whilst in the pot before you plant it; give it a really
good soak. Prepare the planting hole while it soaks, making sure you
fork over the base of the hole to create drainage. Then slip the pot
off the plant and place it in the hole, making sure the soil level is
the same as it was in the pot. Backfill the hole with good compost
and water well.

Since you already have a Magnolia and have not remarked on yellowed
leaves, I assume your soil is neutral to acid. If you do see
yellowing leaves (chlorosis), then a acid mulch and/or feed will help.

And as an extra to that, at the end of their lives, bury the family pets
around the base of the Magnolia, it does the tree a power of good!