Old 27-03-2014, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Akebia quinata alba

On 2014-03-25 18:21:08 +0000, Spider said:

On 25/03/2014 11:19, Sacha wrote:
I've just popped out to the Nursery and this climber is growing on
pillars along the path. The scent is astonishing! It always amazes
and
delights me that such wonderful smells come from such little
flowers!

I have often admired this climber, but have read conflicting advice
that it is "tender, requiring shelter" and "hardy, H7. Surely, they
can't both be right? Has yours ever seen a really hard winter,
Sacha?

Indeed, has anyone on urg grown it in harsh conditions?

It's been on the chains and pillars outside the Tea Room through a
couple of tough winters here, Spider, including the toughest in -
was it
2010 - when we had ice and snow for days on end, most unusual here.
It's
probably a bit sheltered by that position but during that harsh winter
it was surrounded by snow and ice. It's very vigorous, too.

Thanks, Sacha. Sounds lovely :~). I may have a panel of trellis that
would suit it very well. It will get good light and lots of afternoon
sun there.

Just been past it again and the scent has even permeated the first
couple of feet into the big greenhouse!

Now you're making me jealous! Gardeners are supposed to have green
fingers, not green eyes! I shall have to see if my local gc has one.

The scent of the alba is quite different, and very strong, ime.

I hope, then, that I can find a gc with both colour forms, so probably
not my local one. Must remember to take my nose with me, which doesn't
always work :~(. I'd like to sample the scent before I buy, if poss.
Am I to assume, because of the common name Chocolate Vine, that the
scent is chocolatey?

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London