Old 28-03-2014, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default What is the growth rate of a mature Yew tree?

On 2014-03-27 20:09:11 +0000, Nick said:

I know they are slow growing.
In the garden of the house where I was born there is a yew tree. Big
tree, girth about 8-10ft at chest level. Haven't measured it but would
estimate 50-60ft high.
Today I have been given an old photo of the place taken many years ago.
I would be interested to know when the photo might have been taken
(some decades +/- would do).
It appears that the yew has grown taller by about 30ft.
Photo is definitely pre 1952. I live with it yet. Lovely tree but very messy.
Thanks very much,
Nick.

Very messy? I don't see how because they're evergreen and easily
clipped into shape once a year, if necessary. What is more, they'll
sprout new growth from old wood. Perhaps yours has never been clipped
so you mean it's a 'messy' shape? They're not very fast growing but we
have a yew hedge here which was put in about 6 years ago and is now
clipped to stay at about 6' tall, so they're not so slow as to make
them a bad choice. Their eventual height is around 20m, so yours may
have reached its full potential which might help you to establish the
age of the tree and the photo.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com