Old 26-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Jim Webster

Default Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....

Gordon Couger wrote in message

What do you pay the ag researcher to do any way?

what ag researchers?

that is probably too cynical. Remember we have got to the stage where in
the UK most agricultural colleges in the UK still offer courses in
agriculture, but equine, conservation and golf course green keeping are
probably bigger earners.

Anything that would produce money is "near market" and the government
will not fund it.
When I was doing search of calf feeding I never bothered with the Defra
site, I just ran a google search and came up with stuff from Ireland,
Australia and the US. When I was looking for stuff on cattle handling
facilities a google search got me a lot from the US colleges which was
fascinating but not really suitable for the sort of cattle I run
(domesticated :-)))

There isn't all that much agricultural research on increasing
agricultural profitability in the UK because it isn't a government
priority.

I was talking to the lads who went to South Dakota and they came back
most impressed. What really impressed them was that the State equivilent
of the Minister of Agriculture actually dropped round to see them and
talk to them, AND he understood agriculture. They had never met a
politician who understood agriculture.
--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Gordon