Old 31-03-2014, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default spring garden notes

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 21:10:43 GMT, wrote:

ventured out to check vegetable garden today .......I'm in michigan and
this is first day this year temp has risen above 50°
i covered carrots with a large amount of straw last fall.... could only
find a handful of about 10 or 12 pounds that i was expecting to find. looks
like the mice?? got most of them.

Was a very cold winter, critters ate whatever they could find. Here
in The northern Catskills I've learned not to plant much in the fall
to over winter, just onions and garlic... critters don't eat alliums.
I don't plant carrots, they're a pain to grow and caqrrots are
inexpensive when purchased in bulk.. I feed carrots to the deer so I
buy 25 lb sacks for about $15.

tilled mucho horse manure into soil last fall and covered with wheat
straw..........lots of wheat berries in the straw and it grew few inches
before it got real cold......i read that wheat was an annual and that the
wheat would die off by spring........but that did not happen......

Find another source for straw, it shouldn't contain seeds... but horse
manure always contains lots of seeds don't use it unless it's been hot
composted to kill the seeds.

soil is still wet, thought not soggy.....is it ok to plant peas and
lettuce? TIA.............

Now is probably a good time to plant cool weather crops, like peas,
anything in the cabbage family, beets/chard, lettuce, turnips,
spinach, etc.