Old 03-04-2014, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Proposed Allotment legislation.

On 2014-04-03 08:06:34 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Peter James" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

Just received this from an allotment friend....

"Don't know if you have seen this already

Eric Pickles is proposing councils are released from providing allotments"

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/61225

Having done some checking it appears he is actually proposing to remove the
statutory obligation on Councils to provide new allotments where there are
none if 6 or more locals demand them. So it seems not to have any effect on
existing sites, does not remove Statutory Allotment Land status and
protection, or suggest that plots are built on. Seems like a gut reaction
petition to me, what do others think?

I bet it's Pickles flying a kite. Depending on the reaction so will
come the policy, if any. Typical bxxxxy tory mind set!

Restrict gardeners and their allotments but give the banks another
billion.

From what I've read it does not restrict gardeners at all it only
removes one small part of legislation dealing with local demand and a
legal requirement to supply new plots.

Regarding the Banks the facts are that all the money lent to the Banks
has been repaid with interest so we, as taxpayers are already in profit
on that one. The shares we own in Lloyds and RBS can and should also be
sold at a premium over what we paid (depends on the politicians) so
supporting the Banks looks increasingly like a good deal for the
taxpayer as we and the Banks come out of recession.

+1
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com