Old 03-04-2014, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default greenhouse growing

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 14:09:05 +0200, kerrygirl
wrote:

Hello,

This year I have my first greenhouse. At the moment I'm growing
marigolds, pansies, lobelia,etc. My question is can I also at the same
time grow fruit and vegetables? Are there any diseases that can go from
flowers to the veg and vice versa or must I have a separate house for
each. I would really apppreciate some help.

Can anyone suggest a good book on greenhouse growing please.

It's been my lifelong desire to have a greenhouse and I've never had a
garden big enough, so I really envy you and wish you good luck.
The flowers you mention will soon, hopefully, be able to go outside so
you can start with the other things you want to grow.
Are you going to grow tomatoes? there is something called "Companion
planting". I know that African marigolds attract whitefly, which can
infest tomatoes. If you plant the marigolds near the tomato plants,
the whitefly will prefer the marigolds and you can remove the those
and replace with fresh ones, thus getting rid of the pests.
Tell us what fruit and veg you want to grow.

Pam in Bristol