Old 03-04-2014, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default greenhouse growing

On 03/04/2014 13:09, kerrygirl wrote:

Hello,

This year I have my first greenhouse. At the moment I'm growing
marigolds, pansies, lobelia,etc. My question is can I also at the same
time grow fruit and vegetables? Are there any diseases that can go from
flowers to the veg and vice versa or must I have a separate house for
each. I would really apppreciate some help.

Not enough to be worth worrying about. Insect pests that suck sap are
not fussy whether they eat ornamentals or vegetables. You can use more
aggressive chemicals on ornamentals since you won't be eating them.

Can anyone suggest a good book on greenhouse growing please.

http://shop.rhsshop.co.uk/rhs/Greenhouse%20Books

But what I suggest you do is visit a local library and borrow a few
until you find one that you like at about the right level.

Meantime just plant whatever you fancy growing and enjoy. Cannas are fun
to grow if you have a way to keep them frost free over winter.

If you are not bothered by toxic plants then daturas (fabulous flower
perfume evil smelling plant) and castor oil plants are worth growing for
their flowers and exotic foliage respectively.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown