Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Proposed Allotment legislation.

On 2014-04-03 21:49:30 +0000, kay said:

Bob Hobden;1000510 Wrote:
"Peter James" wrote-

Bob Hobden wrote:
-
Just received this from an allotment friend....

"Don't know if you have seen this already

Eric Pickles is proposing councils are released from providing
allotments"

'Tell Eric Pickles that allotments must not be sold off! - e-petitions'
(http://tinyurl.com/k9m4hg4)

Having done some checking it appears he is actually proposing to remove

the
statutory obligation on Councils to provide new allotments where there

are
none if 6 or more locals demand them. So it seems not to have any
effect
on
existing sites, does not remove Statutory Allotment Land status and
protection, or suggest that plots are built on. Seems like a gut
reaction
petition to me, what do others think?
-

I bet it's Pickles flying a kite. Depending on the reaction so will
come the policy, if any. Typical bxxxxy tory mind set!

Restrict gardeners and their allotments but give the banks another
billion.

-
From what I've read it does not restrict gardeners at all it only
removes
one small part of legislation dealing with local demand and a legal
requirement to supply new plots.

With waiting lists of up to 9 years, legal requirement to supply new
plots is important.

The problem is that there's also a requirement to provide housing and
they're not making any more land! I'm entirely sympathetic to those
who want allotments but there's only so much that can be done with a
finite amount of space.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com