Old 05-04-2014, 03:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bentley View Post
Wanting to plant some seeds on the window Sill, but do not have much room
there.

Is there any reason as to why I cannot cut down and put compost in 1 pint
plastic milk cartons, since their rectangular shape means I can get more on.
But the fact that they are semi transparent would that be a problem?
Thanks.
Strictly speaking, you won't get more on, you'll just fill up the "corners" between pots. Or to put it another way, 8 2in dia round pots will take up the same space as 8 2in dia square pots. If you're planting lots of seeds per pot, the square ones will give you extra seed-space in the corners. But if you're planting one seed a pot, you won't have saved anything.

No problem with the transparency (eventually you may get algae growing on the soil where it's getting light through but it won't upset the plants. You'll need drainage holes, so you'll want to stand them on a plastic tray to avoid damaging the windowsill. If the windowsill is wide enough, consider cutting the cartons lengthwise and letting the "spout" end overhang a bit.