Old 26-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Gordon Couger

Default Tinaroo Dam [Was: Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....]

"Michael Percy" wrote in message
Phred wrote:

In article ,
Michael Percy wrote:
Your 'local dam' would seem to be the ross river dam or burdekin.
http://www.nqwater.com.au/assets_ross.htm

Close, but not far enough north! :-)

It was your remark that the real tropical rain was north of you, I missed
the significance of tropical, read it as the 'real' rain (like about
Cairns) was north of you.

..
Download the map at
ftp://ftp.bom.gov.au/anon/home/ncc/w...ur/latest2.gif
for a larger view of Oz drought status for the period 1Dec01-31Oct02.

Thank you! I was wondering how the f. the 'avg.' severity could be as low
as about the 10th decile over such a large area. That map sure explains
that, you have such large areas even more droughtridden. Funny, how
thoughts arrange themselves, from the map I got to thinking of a bunch
of possums who tamed me one night in a coastal forest south of
Wollongong ....I find myself being happy to see -their- area is not
among the worst hit ...ah, it's silly isn't it.

Can't find an equivalent "official" link to yours for Tinaroo, but
this one has most of the general info about it anyway:
http://www.tinarooeec.qld.edu.au/Kids/tindam.html#top

I rather like this bit:
quoting
Flood Mitigation
Although not designed as a flood mitigation scheme, the flood storage
available in the dam at the start of the wet season can be a
significant factor in reducing flooding in the Barron Delta.

Nah, flooding is hardly the concern right now. I hear over in
Switzerland, they have just had a rainfall event comparable to that
flood you had Tinaroo buffering you through, some 20", only the Swiss
had not a dam

I wonder how much water is evaporating from the Tinaroo dam now every
day, I imagine one can almost see the water level falling.

There is a lake north of Altus Okalahoma Lugrut Lake built in the 30's as a
irrigation project on the North Fork of Red River. Acutely it is the main
stream of the river but it was incontinent to the federal government so they
declared the Prairie Dog Town Fork of Red River to be the main stream adding
three counties to Oklahoma and taking them away from the Republic of Texas.
The lake has been full 7 time since it was built and in the summer it drops
3 feet a day when they are irrigating out of it. It makes for a very
productive fishery. Before they introduce walleye and stripped bass it was
one of the best black bass lake in the state. Now it a great walleye lake.
They are better eating but not as much fun catching.

Gordon.