Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default I'm new here, I may be asking for help from time to time

On 2014-04-06 15:12:50 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
It's a funny year. Some people are saying theirs are over (of course,
so much depends on variety) others are saying their tulips are out
and ours are still just thinking about it - again, variety but also
location and conditions.

Our Dafs are well and truly over as are the primroses, and our tulips
are in full flower although they haven't opened today. Bluebells are
out around here already.

Wild primroses are still sending out their little bunches of clotted
cream in all our hedgerows and probably will do so until May. But
cultivated primulas are starting to look a bit tired. My favourite
Pulmonaria, Blue Ensign, has been in flower for some time. Bluebells
aren't out. And we're in the soppy south west! I hope all these
examples do show the OP that, while we all understand well the desire to
stamp one's own imprint on a new place, it really is worth waiting.
Precisely because the owners before him appear not to have been too
interested in their garden, the ones before them may have put in some
urecognised and undisturbed treasures. It would be a great shame to dig
up and burn something he then goes to the local garden centre or nursery
to replace! First rule of a new garden - tear out NOTHING in the first
year! In January/February, it may be awash with snowdrops, for example.

The OP asked about growing Swamp Cypress, yes they will grow well in the
UK, but be warned.
Do read this first
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardens/Hyde-H...dium-distichum
I know you have made up your mind about getting rid of the contents of
your garden, I just wonder if you had moved into the house during Last
Summer so you have seen the garden before the wet winter hit it.
A lot of gardens have been waterlogged for the last few months that
usually are dry to damp in normal years.
Nothing worse than putting in a bog garden only to find you have to top
it up with water a couple of times a week all summer long to stop it
becoming a desert.
Many of us have been gardening for 40,50 and 60 years or more so do have
some experience, and many of us have learned the hard way.
You learn more by making mistakes than you ever do by listening to others.
What ever you do, enjoy your garden, but do remember that trees and
shrubs grow and keep on growing, so check their final height before you buy.
I remember seeing Silver birch catalogued as an elegant tree to 10ft, no
mention that it will go on to 20ft then 30ft and 40ft and more.
David @ a dull and damp side of Swansea Bay