Old 07-04-2014, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Those are roots of the orchid?

Markjump wrote:

As you can see, my orchid grows quite nice now.

The orchid flower never grow again since I bought it two years ago until
this moment! Nice, isnt it? I guess this is because two months ago I
removed some dead roots and replaced the pot with a bigger one (if you
don't agree, please let me know).

My question is: Do you think those in the amplified part of the picture
are roots of the orchid? What I should do?

Orchids are not potted like that, they are air rooted (those roots are
attempting to reach air so they can breathe, they do not take in
nutrients through their roots, only water, and only briefly... in the
rain forest they typically grow on fiborous tree bark and recieve
water periodically when it rains, otherwise orchid roots need to be
dry. You can wire your orchid to a piece of orchid growing medium, a
slab of pourous material typically sold at plant nurseries.. there are
also special orchid pots that are purposely made with many openings.
Orchids do best with high humidity.... some people mist them several
times a day.
http://houseplants.about.com/od/grow...chidshouse.htm
http://www.gardeners.com/Growing-Orc...efault,pg.html

|Filename: 0126.jpg |