Old 07-04-2014, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Leaf mould alternative?

On 07/04/2014 18:47, stuart noble wrote:
Doesn't seem possible to buy leaf mould so I'm wondering what the best
alternative might be. TIA

Peat, provided that you are not averse to using it.

Worth making your own leaf mould though if you have a lot of leaves.

I use my green bin for making leaf mould as I compost more than the
council would allow me to put in their green bin. Takes about three
years with a complete inversion every year. A full green bin of leaves
will rot down in a year to a black dustbin and a half of still rough
rotted leaves. It will work in plastic bags too but harder work.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown