Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] onewaits@netscape.net is offline

Default Those are roots of the orchid?

One bright night in the middle of the day on Tue, 8 Apr
2014 00:51:16 +0200, in rec.gardens Markjump
wrote:

How about to bind some pieces of bark around my pot to let the outside
root touch on them?

IMO, your plant looks just fine the way it is.

It looks like you've got it potted in orchid mix (bark
chips) and it's in a clay pot which lets the roots
"breathe" since unglazed clay is very porous. I imagine
the plant should do fine. No. You shouldn't have to put
anything around the outside of the pot. Orchids,
especially Phals like yours, like to wave their roots
around in the wind. At repotting time, you can very gently
tuck these back into the pot, but the plant will likely
just grow more air roots. This is a very natural thing and
nothing to worry or be at all concerned about. It's the
way orchids grow. As someone else mentioned, just be
careful about letting water get into the crown and stand
there, as that can cause rot to set in which may kill the
plant. If you do get water in the crown, simply lay the
pot on its side for a while so the water can run back out
and the crown (growing point) can air dry. If you have a
fan, gently running it helps as these plants like air
circulation. Just don't BLAST them with air. :/

Most orchids you can find in grocery stores or nurseries
are not nearly as delicate as people make them out to be.
Good luck and good growing!
* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"