Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Eyes and plants

On 07/04/2014 22:52, Bob Hobden wrote:
Spent the morning in A & E having my right eye looked at, turns out it
is scratched. The cause was a twiggy branch from a hibiscus that caught
under my glasses and went straight up into my eye whilst hand weeding.
This is the second time that similar has happened and the first time I
was within 48 hours of loosing my sight according to the surgeon. That
time my right eye was stabbed by the leaf of a oleander and abscessed.
I'm wondering if it's time to wear protecting eye wear if I go anywhere
near plants.

Near euphorbias it would be a very sensible idea. The sap is seriously
damaging to the eye and not so great on skin either in sunlight.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown