Old 08-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Markjump Markjump is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
On 4/7/2014 6:57 AM, Markjump wrote:
Hi,

As you can see, my orchid grows quite nice now.

The orchid flower never grow again since I bought it two years ago until
this moment! Nice, isnt it? I guess this is because two months ago I
removed some dead roots and replaced the pot with a bigger one (if you
don't agree, please let me know).

My question is: Do you think those in the amplified part of the picture
are roots of the orchid? What I should do?

Thanks for your help.

|Filename: 0126.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15972|

That is a Phalaenopsis orchid, sometimes called a "moth orchid". Yes
those are roots.

When well established, they might bloom every year. But repotting might
delay them a year or even two. The best potting mix is small bark chips
(usually pine bark). (Note: Some other orchids (e.g., Cymbidium) bloom
best when they are pot-bound.)

Water it only once a week. Hold the pot in one hand over a sink, with
your hand blocking the drain hole. Carefully pour water into the pot
until the water level is at the top of the pot; then let the water drain
out. Every other week, mix orchid fertilizer into the water according
to directions on the fertilizer container. (I use 1/4 teaspoon to a
quart of water.) Be very careful not to allow even a drop of water into
the center of the plant (where new leaves grow); water there can cause
the plant to rot and die.

Setup a large saucer with small pebbles. Place the pot on top of the
pebbles. Pour water into the saucer until just a few pebbles stick out
above the water. This provides necessary humidity.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see