Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default bits of spring

Terry Coombs wrote:
I must be quite a ways south of you ... Our new strawberries are doing
well , we have lettuce and bok choy up enough to start thinning , and
yesterday I noticed that the beets are coming up . We're hoping for a few
non-rainy days so I can get the rest planted - it really is "too wet to
plow" here right now .

yes, i'm in mid-Michigan. we've had plenty of snow
on the ground that has had to melt (there's still piles
of it in the shady places yet). the only reason we've
not had flooding this year is that the warm spells
have come without much rain and then there have been
a few days of cold weather here or there to slow it down.
the low spaces the ground is still too wet to plant or
turn, but most of our gardens are raised to avoid the
floods and that lets them dry out early enough to work
if the weather cooperates. for the few lower and flat
areas i try to slope them a little so that they drain
(without eroding).

On another upbeat note , I went by a friend's house the other day to work
on his Harley , scored a pair of outer tines from a tiller he's scrapping
that fit my free tiller . Now I can get close to twice the area done in the
same time . I still have some prep to do before I can plant the new area .
Just as soon as it dries out a little ...

free stuff to reuse is great instead of
having to pay for it new.

songbird