Old 09-04-2014, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Eyes and plants

On 09/04/2014 13:08, Spider wrote:
On 08/04/2014 22:51, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 22:31:53 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 08/04/2014 22:12, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 17:29:55 +0100, Spider wrote:

On 07/04/2014 22:52, Bob Hobden wrote:
Spent the morning in A & E having my right eye looked at, turns
out it
is scratched. The cause was a twiggy branch from a hibiscus that
caught
under my glasses and went straight up into my eye whilst hand
weeding.
This is the second time that similar has happened and the first
time I
was within 48 hours of loosing my sight according to the surgeon.
That
time my right eye was stabbed by the leaf of a oleander and
abscessed.
I'm wondering if it's time to wear protecting eye wear if I go
anywhere
near plants.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

That sounds nasty, Bob! I hope it heals soon. I assume they gave you
drops to help with healing? It does sound as if you need eye
protection, especially for the close work. My glasses are almost
protection enough, having large frames, but I'm very careful all the
same. I dread such an accident happening though, fortunately, we are
within panicking distance of Moorfields Eye Hospital.

I've worn hard contact lenses since the early 1960s. I've scratched
a cornea
several times, in amongst other places Corsica, Carcassonne and in a
fairly
remote place in Greece. Treatment has always been antibiotics. The
scratch heals
within a few days. It is extremely painful at the time it happens.

I can imagine. Even the slightest irritation is painful enough. I
don't think I'd make a very good patient.

The solution?
http://www.esa.int/spaceinimages/Ima...Space_eye-wash

I'm sure it's very efficient, but it gives me 'the squeams'. Might be
an idea for Bob, though ;~)

Bob,
Have a word with you Optician about side shields for your glasses,
something like these
http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/17356...for?ref=market
He/she should have a choice to offer you and they may well start at
around £3.00 or so.
Well worth it, and they can help prevent eyes watering when you get a
strong wind blowing in from the side.
David @ a sunny side of Swansea Bay