Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Finally!

On 2014-04-09 12:06:21 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Tue, 08 Apr 2014 23:10:21 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Finally and at last, a gardening programme for grown ups - experienced
gardeners or not - BBC4's British Gardens In Time. If tonight's episode
is anything to go by, it's a winner and a keeper. Nobody is teaching or
preaching here but they are *explaining* how a garden came into being,
what the thinking and the person behind it was about. We enjoyed it
enormously and imo, it's inspirational. The only jarring note was the
comment on Christopher Lloyd's sexual inclinations which are of
absolutely no importance whatsoever in the context of his garden. This
is shaping up to be very good indeed.

I enjoyed the programme very much also, although I thought the demise of
the rose garden really too bad. Newer/different is not always better,
even though I certainly understand the desire to constantly reinvent.

Admittedly it was an old photo but I thought the rose garden looked a
bit dreary and unimaginative. Would it have been out of sight of the
house, do you know? But what was put in its place was exciting and
interesting, imo.

I suppose this change in the garden underscores Lloyd's 2 periods, one
introverted and dominated by his mother, the other outgoing and free.
While I agree that bringing up his sexual orientation was unnecessary and
perhaps a bit distasteful, I thought the writers were underscoring how
the prejudices of the day further encouraged his introversion. As well
they might have, given disgraceful cases like that of Alan Turing.

-E

Yes, it's possible that was the reason but I still feel that it was
unnecessary. Had he been heterosexual, I doubt they'd have mentioned it
or said "Amazingly after such an upbringing, he wasn't gay"! I suppose
I'm just a bit jaded with the fact that it appears impossible to read
or hear about someone these days without also hearing of their sexual
inclination. I'm about as interested in that as I am in their oral
hygiene!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com