Old 09-04-2014, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Nick is offline

Default What is the growth rate of a mature Yew tree?

On 2014-03-27 20:09:11 +0000, Nick said:

I know they are slow growing.
In the garden of the house where I was born there is a yew tree. Big
tree, girth about 8-10ft at chest level. Haven't measured it but would
estimate 50-60ft high.
Today I have been given an old photo of the place taken many years ago. I
would be interested to know when the photo might have been taken (some
decades +/- would do).
It appears that the yew has grown taller by about 30ft.
Photo is definitely pre 1952. I live with it yet. Lovely tree but very
messy.
Thanks very much,
Nick.

Very messy? I don't see how because they're evergreen and easily clipped
into shape once a year, if necessary. What is more, they'll sprout new
growth from old wood. Perhaps yours has never been clipped so you mean
it's a 'messy' shape? They're not very fast growing but we have a yew
hedge here which was put in about 6 years ago and is now clipped to stay
at about 6' tall, so they're not so slow as to make them a bad choice.
Their eventual height is around 20m, so yours may have reached its full
potential which might help you to establish the age of the tree and the
photo.
--

Thanks Sacha,
I love the shape of this tree. AFAIK it has never been clipped. It is
situated about 2m from a wall of the farmhouse. Every now and again I trim
branches which touch the tiled roof.
This tree produces small berries/seeds in abundance. Last weekend I filled a
large wheelie bin (can't remember capacity but it was one of the larger
ones) to capacity. Ruddy heavy to wheel away but the council green waste
blokes emptied it yesterday. This happens 2 or 3 times a year. The
berries/seeds block gutters and also block a small gulley that channels
rainwater into the stream 3m away.
By messy, I mean it creates a great deal of mess. This mess I am still
capable of dealing with.
As title of op, I would like to ascertain the annual growth rate in order to
estimate the age of a photo that is at least 62 years old.
All the best,
Nick.