Old 10-04-2014, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Finally!

On 10/04/2014 19:57, Emery Davis wrote:
On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 17:29:43 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I suppose this change in the garden underscores Lloyd's 2 periods, one
introverted and dominated by his mother, the other outgoing and free.
While I agree that bringing up his sexual orientation was unnecessary
and perhaps a bit distasteful, I thought the writers were underscoring
how the prejudices of the day further encouraged his introversion. As
well they might have, given disgraceful cases like that of Alan Turing.

-E

Yes, it's possible that was the reason but I still feel that it was
unnecessary. Had he been heterosexual, I doubt they'd have mentioned it
or said "Amazingly after such an upbringing, he wasn't gay"! I suppose
I'm just a bit jaded with the fact that it appears impossible to read or
hear about someone these days without also hearing of their sexual
inclination.
I'm about as interested in that as I am in their oral hygiene!

Yes it fails the old reversal test as you say! Now, if they had thought
to mention that it was only thanks to a cure for halitosis that Lloyd
came out of his shell...

One thing they didn't discuss that I would have found very interesting is
the maintenance/over-wintering cycle for meadow garden areas. Do they
cut and rake or bale? Harrow? Etc. We have a meadow in the maple
collection area with cut grass paths, which I mulch and leave lying
usually in August. It looks great in spring and summer but a mess in
fall. We do collect it up before winter so that the meadow is green.

I seem to remember that for a summer flowering meadow you cut it in
early spring and for a spring flowering meadow you cut it in the
autumn, leave it down for a few days for the seeds to fall out, then
remove it as a hay crop.