Old 11-04-2014, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Finally!

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 00:22:26 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

One thing they didn't discuss that I would have found very interesting
is the maintenance/over-wintering cycle for meadow garden areas. Do
they cut and rake or bale? Harrow? Etc.

They mentioned taking the hay off and spreading the hay where they want
to extend the wildflowers.

Must have missed it.

[]
You really need to keep reducing the fertility of coarser grasses.
I noticed that at Dixter the wildflower meadow contained a very high
concentration of yellow rattle, which is supposed to have exactly that
effect on grasses.

http://www.grasslands-trust.org/sowi...-yellow-rattle

Interesting site, thanks. The meadow blooms very nicely at the mo but
rattle sounds like a possible idea. I hate the idea of harrowing in fall
though, too much else to do.

-E
--
Gardening in Lower Normandy