Old 26-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Jim Webster

Default Vegans, facts, ranting, bigotry and other related subjects....

Gordon Couger wrote in message

The more I learn about the EU and UK the more baffled I am by the way

they
do things. You sit on an island and twice in the last century your

food
supply was nearly cut off by the Germans and you don't consider

agriculture
important to support a minimal research effort. In this country baring

volcanic eruption that distorts the climate for 2 or 3 years or a

drought of
biblical magnitude we have no problems with food security and we put a

petty
high value on agriculture research and cut the farmer a lot more slack

than
he really disserves.

Gordon

remember it is the baby boom generation in charge. They were brought up
to assume they would be fed "of right". Whereas their parents lived
through food rationing and in the cases of some, ate grass in the winter
of 44/45 our current generation regard deprivation as being unable to
afford the most fashionable training shoes.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'