Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default bits of spring

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

it is so nice to be able to get back outside
into the gardens.

An overzealous cold front delivered a day of rain and one chilly
night (46°) down here but, otherwise, temps have been normal.

the ground has thawed out enough and is even
starting to be warm enough in spots to plant a
few of the early crops and to start cleaning up
and getting ready for the coming season.

the bees are out gathering nectar and pollen
from the crocuses. i'm always glad to see the
bees and amazed they get to work so early in
the season. the bunnies are doing a fair job
at eating some of the crocuses too. i have to
keep spreading the flowers around to make sure
there are plenty for everyone to enjoy. the
chipmunks will be along later in the season to
take their fill too.

Honeybees have discovered the second-year onions, to my chagrin,
but in no great number. I won't begin discouraging them unless they
find the brassica (many, but not all, are in full flower and/or
setting seeds) which, along with the onions, are pretty much all the
solitary bees and the wasps have available in the garden this time of
year.

Why is it a problem if the bees work on your veges?

"Discovered" an abandoned bathtub which I shall move into the
garden this weekend and prepare to receive its blessings. Maybe
tomatoes will go into it.

Make sure it drains well, if the drain gets plugged you may drown your
veges.