Old 12-04-2014, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default bits of spring

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 00:52:16 -0400, songbird
wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I am lucky, no hive required. I have more than you can shake a stick at.

plus there are ways of setting up things
to encourage other species of bees too other
than just the honey bee. no hives needed
for many of them. we have a species of bee
that likes to use the electrical plug outlets
in the garage as nesting sites. the holes
in the shop vac that are countersunk down a
bit had some action last year too as when
we used it the other day several of those
holes were packed with mud.

songbird

Yesterday I saw at least 1 wasp visiting the citrus trees in the
greenhouse. This time of year I have to open the door to the
greenhouse during the day and even then it can get up to 90°F .

I have 3 potted citrus trees (Mexican Lime, Key Lime and Meyer Lemon)
that go into the greenhouse in the winter. They will go onto the deck
when it gets warm enough. The 10 day forecast is for lows in the 30°s
next week. Thankfully I have no more plants that need to go out yet
and everything that is out will do fine.

--
USA
North Carolina Foothills