Old 13-04-2014, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default New 'branch' on orchid

On 2014-04-12 21:22:16 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"sacha" wrote

I'm delighted to see that catch me unawares, one of my Phalaenopsis has
put out a new stem with several buds on it. It's sprouted from where
the old stem was cut back and it has been sitting on a kitchen window
sill, facing west and theoretically, in a room that is much too warm.
But maybe the steam in a kitchen has made it happy, though I would have
thought the Aga sort of wiped that theory out too! The last one I had
in the same spot has been flowering since before Christmas and is still
going strong. Admittedly, these are the easiest to grow (I'm told) but
I haven't potted them on, bar one and they get watered once a week, if
that, with water straight from the tap. I picked this one up to water
it today and suddenly noticed the new stem with about 6 buds on it -
nul points for observant!

Flowering is initiated by temperature, or change in temperature, with Phals.

This one seems to disobey the rules! It's been in that same position
since it last flowered and the Aga has been on the whole time, so there
has been little fluctuation in temperature. What might have changed is
the amount of cold outside hitting the window at night, I suppose.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com