Old 13-04-2014, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek[_2_] Steve Peek[_2_] is offline

Default Wild onions

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:26:48 AM UTC-4, Jenna A wrote:
We just moved over on this farm property and there are wild onions EVERYWHERE! I love picking them and smelling them. They look like normal onions that I grow except a little smaller and are white bulbs--Question is, can we eat them? If so, we will not be needing onions from the store for quite sometime. Mind you, I have a 16 month old who sometimes eats adult scraps- well, all of the time. Gerber food isn't cutting it for her so she gets baby portions and i wouldn't forgive myself if I made her sick!

Wild onions are very common in the SE USA. They are edible but very strong. The farmers hate them because cattle will eat them and the milk or butter is unsaleable.