Old 13-04-2014, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default New 'branch' on orchid

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:

Flowering is initiated by temperature, or change in temperature, with
Phals.

Care to add a bit more detail?

They normally like a temperature of 20°C and reducing that to 15°C ( a 5°C
reduction) for a week or two will initiate flowering. Indeed the show
growers use that fact to constantly lengthen the flower spikes of their show
plants, their real secret is keeping the original blooms in perfect
condition while they go through the temp cycles until they have the huge
flower spikes they want. Whilst I have seen photos of such Phals in the OSGB
magazine I have never been able to find a photo on the net.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.