Old 26-04-2003, 12:24 PM
Ian

Default Lagoon Help? Duckweed!

(CAVM) wrote in message ...
The duckweed is eating the nutrient overload in the lagoon. I can't see any
harm that it is doing in the process. The only drawback I can see is that when
it dies it will fall to the bottom of the lagoon.

I have duckweed in my water holding damn. I use the water for my
livestock to drink. The duckweed covers the entire water surface
preventing light from penetratring it. This purifies the water by
keeping algae at bay. The duck weed also sucks loads of nitrates from
the water. The thicker the duckweed, the higher nutrient load in the
water.
In your case, you have to get rid of it completly if you can. Septic
lagoons are designed so sunlight can reach the lagoon bottom. Sunlight
kills collieforms within hours and with the duckweed, it can't do it's
job.
Anyway good luck getting rid of it

Ian