Old 17-04-2014, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Rhubarb and The big allotment challenge

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:24:50 +0100, Spider wrote:

My rhubarb is flower-free thus far, but I'll keep a close eye on it now
you've said that. Thanks.

I watched the show with very mixed feelings. It's not like any
allotment I know, that's for sure. It seemed to drag a bit early on,
then it jumped to mature plots all too soon, but it was interesting to
see the produce, however briefly. There were some nice bits to watch: I
enjoyed the sweetpea trial and the flower arrangement, but less
enthralled about the cookery session. I suppose there's more point to
it when you've produced the raw ingredients, but I got bored with
cookery shows years ago. I might watch it again to see how it develops,
but it didn't grip me the way the Sewing Bee did for instance.

We only caught two bits of the sewing bees but enjoyed them very much!
Will have to watch them all on iplayer if they're still there.

This program isn't in the same league.

To answer your final point, I can't see many people rushing into
allotment tending (newly dug or otherwise) on the basis of this show so far.

It is giving a fairly romantic view I thought - no hard work, picking
flowers and making jam. I don't see the point in growing flowers for
cutting in the house when they look so good outside. I only grow
phacelia and poached egg plant as flowers on my plot. I do appear to
have got a buddleah though but that will be moved shortly.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk