Old 18-04-2014, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis woes

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The montana is most likely to be wet roots this last winter, unless it was
of some age? in which case the old stems can rot from the inside out,
Clematis stems are not that long lived so it always pays to have more than
one.

I am sure I have posted this before but with montana and alpina/macropetala
sorts if you cut the bottom off a pot half bury it then plant in the top you
get a sort of mini raised bed which helps keep the crowns dry in winter.

Flammula is just a short lived plant 3-10 years is normal, I always keep
seed each year just in case.

florida wilts for a past time, not normally fungal it just doesn't like
weather!

Ideas? yep grow viticella types!!
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall