Old 18-04-2014, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] is offline

Default Clematis woes

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:46:05 +0100 (BST),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The big problem with the fungal cause of wilt is that it spreads
between plants on contact. Either directly between plants or on
fingers, gardening tools and in soil. I gave up trying to cure it
years ago as so many plants had died. At the moment the new leaves on
three plants are looking good but I'm not placing bets yet. All three
plants are common purple montana growing against a wooden panel fence
that has a very dry concrete base. They only get rain as I don't water
them.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software