Old 18-04-2014, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis woes

On 18/04/2014 15:46, Nick Maclaren wrote:
My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?

No. Last year around this time I planted a C. armandii "Hendersonii
Rubra". I expected it to race away. It didn't, and started to die
back, as though it had wilt - which is very unusual for an evergreen
clematis. Fortunately it survived and this year has gone mad, making up
for lost time, with no sign of any dieback.

As I posted a week or so ago, a Clematis "Denny's double" seemingly had
wilt. One side has died completely, the other has many flower buds,
with one about to open. There is no sign of the wilted stem being
physically damaged (eaten) in any way.

I've given up trying to grow C. florida sieboldii, as it always died
back just before it flowered.

Charlie P recommends viticella cultivars as he reckons they are more
resistant to wilt. Maybe time to try one?

--

Jeff