Old 18-04-2014, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis woes

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Thanks.

The montana is most likely to be wet roots this last winter, unless it was
of some age? in which case the old stems can rot from the inside out,
Clematis stems are not that long lived so it always pays to have more than
one.

Montana? I don't have any! Exactly what Broughton Bride is, I am
not sure, but it's probably alpina/koreana.

I am sure I have posted this before but with montana and alpina/macropetala
sorts if you cut the bottom off a pot half bury it then plant in the top you
get a sort of mini raised bed which helps keep the crowns dry in winter.

Yes, and I have copied that elsewhere. This bed SHOULD have been
OK - I wasn't planning for last winter :-(

I hope that I haven't lost my Erythrina crista-galli, nearby,
but may have done.

Flammula is just a short lived plant 3-10 years is normal, I always keep
seed each year just in case.

I planted it last year :-(

florida wilts for a past time, not normally fungal it just doesn't like
weather!

Yes, but I am always keen on pushing the boundaries - they don't
always move, though ....

Ideas? yep grow viticella types!!

Well, yes, but I wanted that one for that location.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.